Planning Unit -> Faculty
I am an associate professor of economics at the Indian Statistical Institute - Delhi Center. I work on growth, fluctuations, and macroeconomic policy using applied dynamic general equilibrium models. A part of my work has an India focus. I have recently been working on
Indian economic growth, optimal fiscal and monetary policy within the context of emerging market business cycle models, and growth models with endogenous investment specific technological change.
Publications and Working Papers
The Indian Macroeconomy
Endogenous Growth Theory
- A Model of the Indian Business Cycle. With Pawan Gopalakrishnan (ISI Delhi) and Suchismita Tarafdar (Shiv Nadar University). Work in Progress.
- Monetary Policy in India: A Modern Macroeconomic Perspective. (Eds.) Chetan Ghate and Ken Kletzer (UCSC). Springer Verlag: India. Under preparation for completion in 2016.
- Trade Liberalization and Labor Share in Value Added. Evidence from Indian States. With Prema-chandra Athukorala (Australia National University). Work in Progress.
- [September 2014] [Remoteness, Urbanization and India's Unbalanced Growth.] With Peter Robertson (University of Western Australia) and Samarjit Das (ISI Calcutta). Forthcoming, World Development
- [April 2014] [Public and Private Expenditures on Human Capital Accumulation in India.] With Gerhard Glomm (Indiana) and John T Stone III (Weber University). Indian Statistical Institute Discussion Paper 14-04
- Global Cooperation Among G20 Countries: Responding to the Crisis and Restoring Growth, (Eds.) Mike Callaghan (Lowy Institute), Chetan Ghate, Stephen Pickford (Chatham House), and Francis Rathinam (DFID). Springer Verlag: India. January 2014.
- [Has India Emerged? Business Cycle Stylized Facts from a Transitioning
Economy.]. With Radhika Pandey (NIPFP) and Ila Patnaik (NIPFP). Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Volume 24, Issue 1, March 2013, pages 157-172.
- [Why were some Indian states so slow to participate in the Turnaround?] With Stephen Wright (Birkbeck College). Economic and Political Weekly, March 30, 2013, Vol. XLVIII No. 13 (Special Article)
- [October 2012] [Sectoral Infrastructure Investment In An Unbalanced Growing Economy: The Case Of India]. With Gerhard Glomm (Indiana Univ.) and Jialu Liu (Allegheny College). Indian Statistical Institute Discussion Paper 12-07
- [The "V Factor": Distribution, Timing, and Correlates of the Great Indian Growth Turnaround]. With Stephen Wright (Birkbeck College). Journal of Development Economics, Volume 99, Issue 1, September 2012, pages 58-67.[Web Appendix]
- The Oxford Handbook of the Indian Economy. Oxford University Press, New York. March 2012.
- [India's Growth Turnaround], With Stephen Wright (Birkbeck) and Tatiana Fic (NIESR) In The New Oxford Companion to Economics in India, Eds. Kaushik Basu and Annemie Maertens, Oxford University Press, February 2012, p. 316-322.
- [Understanding Divergence in India: A Political Economy Approach]. Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Volume 11, Issue 1, March 2008, pages 1-9.
Chapters in Edited Volumes, Book Reviews, Methodology, Comments, and Contributions to Technical Reports
- [February 2014] [Factor Income Taxation, Growth, and Investment Specific Technological Change.] With Pawan Gopalakrishnan (ISI Delhi) and Monisankar Bishnu (ISI Delhi). Indian Statistical Institute Discussion Paper 13-04.
- [Voting, Wealth Heterogeneity, and Endogenous Labor Supply]. FinanzArchiv/Public Finance Analysis, Volume 63, Issue 4, December 2007, pages 477-497.
- [Education, Growth, and Redistribution in the Presence of Capital Flight]. With Debajyoti Chakrabarty and Areendam Chanda,
Topics in Macroeconomics (The B.E. Journals in Macroeconomics), Volume 6, Issue 2 (Article 14), November 2006, pages 1-41.
- The Welfare State, Thresholds, and Economic Growth. With Tatiana Fic,
Economic Modeling, Volume 22, Issue 3, May 2005, pages 571-598.
- Endogenous Distribution and Equilibrium Growth: A Note. Bulletin of Economic Research, Volume 57, Issue 2, April 2005, pages 171-183.
- [Endogenous Distribution, Politics, and the Growth Equity Tradeoff]. With Satya P. Das,
Contributions to Macroeconomics (The B.E. Journals in Macroeconomics) , Volume 4, Issue 1 (Article 6), July 2004, pages 1-30.
- Reprinted in: Studies in Macroeconomics and Welfare, 2005, Eds. B.B. Bhattacharya and Arup Mitra, Academic Foundation Press Press, p. 223-250.
- [Optimal Fiscal Policy in an Economy Facing Socio-Political Instability]. With Quan Vu Le and Paul J. Zak,
Review of Development Economics, Volume 7, Issue 4, November 2003, pages 583-595.
- The Politics of Endogenous Growth. Topics in Macroeconomics (The B.E. Journals in Macroeconomics), Volume 3, Issue 1 (Article 9), August 2003, pages 1-20.
- [The Growth of Government and the Politics of Fiscal Policy]. With Paul J. Zak,
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Volume 13, Issue 4, December 2002, pages 435-455.
- Lobbying, The Composition of Government Expenditures, and the Politics of Fiscal Policy. Australian Economic Papers, Volume 40, Issue 2, June 2001, pages 133-145.
- Reserve Bank of India Expert Committee to Revise and Strengthen the Monetary Policy Framework , January 2014.
- Introduction (chapter 1) , Global Cooperation Among G20 Countries: Responding to the Crisis and Restoring Growth. With Mike Callaghan, Stephen Pickford, and Francis Rathinam. Springer Verlag: India. January 2014, pages 1 - 21.
- Book Review for [India Emerging: The Reality Checks] By Veena Jha, Academic Foundation (2012), New Delhi. The Book Review, Volume 37 (10), October 2013, pp. 57 - 58.
- Book Review for "Dimensions of Economic Theory and Policy", (Eds.) Dastidar, K., Mukhopadhyay, H., and Sinha, U.B., Oxford University Press (2011), New Delhi. The Book Review, Volume 37 (8), August 2013, pp. 17 - 18.
- Introduction (Chapter 1) , The Oxford Handbook of the Indian Economy. Oxford University Press, New York. March 2012.
- [The Time Inconsistency Problem.] In The Princeton Encyclopedia of the World Economy, Eds. Ramkishen Rajan and Kenneth Reinert, Princeton University Press. February 2009, pages 1091-1093.
- [Calibrating RBC Models: A Simple Example Illustrating the Method of Successive Aproximations]. Indian Growth and Development Review, Volume 1, Issue 1, May 2008, pages 119-124.
- Comment on `A Discussion on Continuous Time Growth Models' by Amitava Bose. Contemporary Ideas and Issues in Social Sciences, Vol. 3, Issue 3, December 2007, pages 1-7.
- Book Review for [Globalization and Its Enemies]. By Daniel Cohen, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. In American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Volume 89, Issue 4, November 2007, pages 1117 - 1119.
- Book Review for [Global Capital Markets: Integration, Crisis, and Growth]. By Maurice Obstfeld and Alan Taylor, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. In
American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Volume 88, Issue 1, February 2006, pages 272 - 274.