Planning Unit -> Faculty
I am a macroeconomist with a research focus on economic growth, fluctuations, economic development, monetary and fiscal policy, and the Indian macroeconomy.
I have recently been working on unbalanced growth in India, fiscal policy in small open economies, monetary policy and terms of trade shocks, and endogenous growth models with endogenous investment specific technological change.
I am currently a Professor at the Indian Statistical Institute - Delhi Center.
Publications and Working Papers
Monetary and Fiscal Rules for Emerging Economies
The Indian Macroeconomy
- Why is the Aggregate Demand Channel for Monetary Transmission Weak in India? With Parantap Basu (Durham), Pawan Gopalakrishnan (Jindal Global University), Seshadri Banerjee (CSSS Kolkata), and Sargam Gupta (ISI Delhi). Work in Progress.
- Fiscal Policy, Debt, and EME Business Cycles. With Chetan Dave (NYU - Abu Dhabi) and Pawan Gopalakrishnan (Jindal Global University). Work in Progress.
- Monetary Policy in India: A Modern Macroeconomic Perspective. (Eds.) Chetan Ghate and Ken Kletzer (UCSC). Springer Verlag: India. Under preparation for completion in 2016.
- [October 2015] [Terms of Trade Shocks and Monetary Policy in India.] With Debdulal Mallick (Deakin University) and Sargam Gupta (ISI Delhi). Work in Progress.
- [February 2016] [Fiscal Policy in an Emerging Market Business Cycle Model.] With Pawan Gopalakrishnan (ISI Delhi) and Suchismita Tarafdar (Shiv Nadar University). Revised and Resubmitted
- Global Cooperation Among G20 Countries: Responding to the Crisis and Restoring Growth, (Eds.) Mike Callaghan (Lowy Institute), Chetan Ghate, Stephen Pickford (Chatham House), and Francis Rathinam (DFID). Springer Verlag: India. January 2014.
Endogenous Growth Theory
- Trade Liberalization and Labor Share in Value Added. Evidence from Indian States. With Prema-chandra Athukorala (Australian National University). Work in Progress.
- [Sectoral Infrastructure Investment In An Unbalanced Growing Economy: The Case Of India]. With Gerhard Glomm (Indiana Univ.) and Jialu Liu (Allegheny College). Invited for a 2016 special issue of Asian Development Review on Asia's Potential Growth, (Ed.) Miguel Leon-Ledesma
- [Remoteness, Urbanization and India's Unbalanced Growth.] With Peter Robertson (University of Western Australia) and Samarjit Das (ISI Calcutta). World Development, Vol. 66, February 2015, pages 572-587.
- [February 2015] [Public and Private Expenditures on Human Capital Accumulation in India.] With Gerhard Glomm (Indiana) and John T. Stone III (Indiana University). UNU-WIDER Working Paper Paper 2015-24.
- [Has India Emerged? Business Cycle Stylized Facts from a Transitioning
Economy.]. With Radhika Pandey (NIPFP) and Ila Patnaik (NIPFP). Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Volume 24, Issue 1, March 2013, pages 157-172.
- [Why were some Indian states so slow to participate in the Turnaround?] With Stephen Wright (Birkbeck College). Economic and Political Weekly, March 30, 2013, Vol. XLVIII No. 13 (Special Article)
- [The "V Factor": Distribution, Timing, and Correlates of the Great Indian Growth Turnaround]. With Stephen Wright (Birkbeck College). Journal of Development Economics, Volume 99, Issue 1, September 2012, pages 58-67.[Web Appendix]
- The Oxford Handbook of the Indian Economy. Oxford University Press, New York. March 2012.
- [India's Growth Turnaround], With Stephen Wright (Birkbeck) and Tatiana Fic (NIESR) In The New Oxford Companion to Economics in India, Eds. Kaushik Basu and Annemie Maertens, Oxford University Press, February 2012, p. 316-322.
- [Understanding Divergence in India: A Political Economy Approach]. Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Volume 11, Issue 1, March 2008, pages 1-9.
Chapters in Edited Volumes and Contributions to Technical Reports
Book Reviews and Shorter Pieces
- [August 2015] [Factor Income Taxation, Growth, and Investment Specific Technological Change.] With Pawan Gopalakrishnan (ISI Delhi) and Monisankar Bishnu (ISI Delhi). Indian Statistical Institute Discussion Paper 13-04. Revise and Resubmit
- [Voting, Wealth Heterogeneity, and Endogenous Labor Supply]. FinanzArchiv/Public Finance Analysis, Volume 63, Issue 4, December 2007, pages 477-497.
- [Education, Growth, and Redistribution in the Presence of Capital Flight]. With Debajyoti Chakrabarty and Areendam Chanda,
Topics in Macroeconomics (The B.E. Journals in Macroeconomics), Volume 6, Issue 2 (Article 14), November 2006, pages 1-41.
- The Welfare State, Thresholds, and Economic Growth. With Tatiana Fic,
Economic Modeling, Volume 22, Issue 3, May 2005, pages 571-598.
- Endogenous Distribution and Equilibrium Growth: A Note. Bulletin of Economic Research, Volume 57, Issue 2, April 2005, pages 171-183.
- [Endogenous Distribution, Politics, and the Growth Equity Tradeoff]. With Satya P. Das,
Contributions to Macroeconomics (The B.E. Journals in Macroeconomics) , Volume 4, Issue 1 (Article 6), July 2004, pages 1-30.
- Reprinted in: Studies in Macroeconomics and Welfare, 2005, Eds. B.B. Bhattacharya and Arup Mitra, Academic Foundation Press Press, p. 223-250.
- [Optimal Fiscal Policy in an Economy Facing Socio-Political Instability]. With Quan Vu Le and Paul J. Zak,
Review of Development Economics, Volume 7, Issue 4, November 2003, pages 583-595.
- The Politics of Endogenous Growth. Topics in Macroeconomics (The B.E. Journals in Macroeconomics), Volume 3, Issue 1 (Article 9), August 2003, pages 1-20.
- [The Growth of Government and the Politics of Fiscal Policy]. With Paul J. Zak,
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Volume 13, Issue 4, December 2002, pages 435-455.
- Lobbying, The Composition of Government Expenditures, and the Politics of Fiscal Policy. Australian Economic Papers, Volume 40, Issue 2, June 2001, pages 133-145.
- Short Piece on International Growth Centre (IGC) Blog, India: Chasing the Dragon ?, March 2015
- Ideas for India entry on Understanding Indias Unbalanced Growth, February 2014
- Book Review for [India Emerging: The Reality Checks] By Veena Jha, Academic Foundation (2012), New Delhi. The Book Review, Volume 37 (10), October 2013, pp. 57 - 58.
- Book Review for "Dimensions of Economic Theory and Policy", (Eds.) Dastidar, K., Mukhopadhyay, H., and Sinha, U.B., Oxford University Press (2011), New Delhi. The Book Review, Volume 37 (8), August 2013, pp. 17 - 18.
- [Calibrating RBC Models: A Simple Example Illustrating the Method of Successive Aproximations]. Indian Growth and Development Review, Volume 1, Issue 1, May 2008, pages 119-124.
- Comment on `A Discussion on Continuous Time Growth Models' by Amitava Bose. Contemporary Ideas and Issues in Social Sciences, Vol. 3, Issue 3, December 2007, pages 1-7.
- Book Review for [Globalization and Its Enemies]. By Daniel Cohen, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. In American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Volume 89, Issue 4, November 2007, pages 1117 - 1119.
- Book Review for [Global Capital Markets: Integration, Crisis, and Growth]. By Maurice Obstfeld and Alan Taylor, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. In
American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Volume 88, Issue 1, February 2006, pages 272 - 274.