Economics and Planning Unit
Higher Education Financing
Economic Development and Growth, Inequality, Financial Development,
Economics of Education, Applied Microeconomics.
- Markets, Governance, and Institutions in the
Process of Economic Development, (co-edited with Ajit Mishra), Oxford
University Press: Oxford, 2017.
New and Enduring
Themes in Development Economics, (co-edited with Bhaskar Dutta and E.
Somanathan), World Scientific: Singapore, 2009.
- Journal Articles:
Neighbourhoods and Welfare of the Poor," (with Namrata Gulati), Journal of Development Economics,
122, 214-228, 2016.
- "Optimal Procurement Strategy Under Supply Risk," (with Haresh Gurnani, Mehmet Gumus and Saibal Ray), Asia-Pacific Journal of
Operational Research, 29(1), 2012.
Mental Health in Welfare Evaluation: An Empirical Application,"
(with Sanghamitra Das and
Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay), The B.E. Journal of
Economic Analysis & Policy, 9 (1), Article 41, 2009.
- "The Development and Structure of Financial Systems," (with Shankha
Chakraborty), Journal of Economic
Dynamics and Control, 31(9), 2920-2956, 2007.
- "Bank-based versus Market-based Financial Systems: A Growth-theoretic
Analysis," (with Shankha Chakraborty), Journal
of Monetary Economics, 53(2), 329-350, 2006.
- "Sharecropping, Land Exploitation and Land Improving Investments,"
Japanese Economic Review, 56(2), 127-143, 2005.
- "Uncertainty, Arbitrage and Intra-Industry Trade," (with Sudipto Dasgupta
and Kit Pong Wong), Canadian Journal of Economics, 35(4), 757-785, 2002.
- "Limited Liability, Contractual Choice, and the Tenancy Ladder," (with Nirvikar Singh),
Journal of Development Economics, 66(1), 289-303, 2001.
- "Share Tenancy as Strategic Delegation,"
Journal of Development Economics,
58(1), 45-60, 1999.
- "The Babu and the Boxwallah: Managerial Incentives and Government
Intervention in a Developing Economy," (with Kaushik Basu and Arghya Ghosh),
Review of Development Economics, 1(1), 71-80, 1997.
- Chapters in Books:
- "Inequality and Neighbourhood Effects: Market Access and
Welfare of the Poor," (with Namrata Gulati), in Ajit Mishra and Tridip Ray
(eds.), Markets, Governance, and Institutions in the Process of
Economic Development, chapter 11, pp 174-201, Oxford University Press:
Cost of HIV and AIDS in India," (with Sanghamitra Das and Abhiroop
Mukhopadhyay), in Markus Haacker and Mariam Claeson (eds.), HIV and AIDS in
South Asia: An Economic Development Risk, chapter 4, 123-154, The World
Bank, Washington, DC, 2009.
Intergenerational Transfers: Public Education and Pensions," (with
Monisankar Bishnu, Shresth Garg and Tishara Garg), Discussion Paper 18-08, Indian
Statistical Institute, Delhi.
- "Impact of Education Loans on Higher Education: The Indian
Experience" (with Senjuti Patra and Arka Roy Chaudhuri).
- "Gender Peer Effects in High Schools: Evidence
from India," (with Prerna Dewan and Arka Roy Chaudhuri).
Education Matters? An Analysis of Inter Caste Marriages in India," (with
Arka Roy Chaudhuri and Komal Sahai), Discussion Paper 17-05, Indian Statistical
versus Private Provisioning: Role of Education and Political Participation,"
(with Mausumi Das, Adway De and Skand Goel).
Higher Education: Comparing Alternative Policies," (with Mausumi Das).
Financing Policy: Income Contingent Loans and Educational Poverty Traps,"
(with Shoumitro Chatterjee, Mausumi Das and Seher Gupta).
Reality of the HIV Positives: Evaluating Welfare Loss in a Low Prevalence
Country," (with Sanghamitra Das and
Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay), Discussion Paper 08-02, Indian Statistical Institute,
Works in Progress:
- "Uncertainty, Arbitrage and Industry Location," (with Sudipto Dasgupta).
- "Consumer Heterogeneity and Industrial Structure: Market
Access and Consumer Surplus," (with Namrata Gulati).
- "Income Inequality, Industrial Structure and Product
Quality," (with Namrata Gulati).
- "Regional Inequality, Location Choice and Quality
Ladder," (with Namrata Gulati).